Family Day…Thinking of all the horse families I’ve known and loved over the years of coaching riders…
- Riding students and their “pit crews”- those bound up in the bundle of life with them.
- Teens with me in the arena while mom and dad master leg bandaging, leg ups and backing up the R.V.
- One spouse in the saddle while the other videotapes the class.
Horse shows can pull families together…and sadly, others apart. As coaches, let’s do our part to support our families – they’re the building blocks of our communities and nation in a messy world.
- Are horse shows a shared interest or a strain on family finances?
- Are most weekends spent together or divided? – mom and daughter heading for the horse show, while dad takes son to a ball tournament.
- Are family meals a weekly thing? (around the table, tech-free) Or is every night grab and head to the stable?
“….nothing less than the shaping of the bodies and souls of humanity, the family is the factory that manufactures mankind.” G.K. Chesterton
Photo credit. Dana’s Doodles